Saturday, April 20, 2013

Blank Canvas

And it all began with a with a blank canvas. 

This could not be more true as our new house is very quickly coming to life; things are moving along at such a speed and important decisions regarding interior need to be made! For me this is quite overwhelming as Karl has said I can pretty much do whatever I like (budget permitting) so I need to think hard about what I want my beautiful new home to look like.

In the words of Henry David Thoreau "the world is but a canvas to our imagination", this is exactly how I am feeling about my new house: it's a complete blank canvas at the moment and we can do whatever we like. The entire house has now been plastered and is ready to be painted, decorated, personalised and brought to life. This is the first time in my life  have ever had to think about such things and knowing where to start can be a bit mind blowing, so thank goodness for Pinterest!

The following pictures show the blank canvas that is our house as it stands, along with my ideas and inspiration shamelessly stolen from Pinterest. As someone who has a terrible tendency to change her mind I have no doubt that these ideas will grow, develop and completely change, so I promise to show you the final results when we eventually move in (which will actually be in about three weeks)!


Let's start from the top and work our way down....

The 3rd Floor. Our bedroom with ensuite.





I've always dreamed of having a beautiful window seat in my bedroom, a perfect reading/ day-dreaming spot.

Something light, airy and gorgeous?

Simple, delicate and lots of light


Beautiful natural tiles and a big mirror (a splash of colour will give it the personal touch)
The staircase going down to the second floor


Spot lights on the stair case are also an absolute must.

The hallway upstairs



Again, light and airy is the dream! I love the idea of picture frames, mirrors and books filling the hallway.
The Study/ Spare Room





Classy and quirky...
The guest bedroom 



A warm and inviting spare room
The main bathroom 



Again, lovely natural tiles- timeless. 




I adore the shelving in this picture, lots of space for pretty pictures, tea lights and luscious soaps!
Staircase

A homely staircase with an array of gorgeous photos, paintings or mirrors.

Teeny, tiny downstairs toilet 


Shelves and wicker baskets to maximise the space
Shelves, shelves, shelves!
The living room




A corner sofa with wonderful, squishy cushions...perfect for movie nights!
This snug is incredible... I love everything about this picture. 
Kitchen/ Diner 





I love the layout of this kitchen and I especially love the rounded work surfaces. 


These pictures are a (very) rough design of what our kitchen might look like: rounded surfaces, a breakfast bar, a glass cupboard with lights (for the cocktail and wine glasses!) The surface won't be black- it will be gorgeous oak to match our wonderful oak doors!
A birds eye view. Where you can see the second door on the right we are actually going to have an American-style fridge freezer with an ice and water dispenser! 
Potential dining area idea (I'm particularly loving the HUGE wine rack in the background!) Lovely glass table,  candles,  Japanese style table decorations and statement art work on the wall. 

I can't wait to show you the final 'before' and 'after' shots... what are your thoughts so far?! As a complete novice to all of this any ideas are warmly welcome!


7 comments:

  1. VG, I absolutely love your plans! Everything is so light and airy, yet personalised too with all the quirky touches and pictures. I can’t wait to see the finished article! VW x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks VW! I hope it looks as nice as the Pinterest pictures when it's all done. Looking forward to having you over for dinner when it's all finished! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so exciting for both of you! Whatever style you choose will reflect your personalities if the ideas you have taken from pinterest are anything to go by. Looking forward to see the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mum! I will need to get some of your interior design expertise, looking forward to having you up here! x

      Delete
  4. realy looking forward to seeing the finished house. cocktails and BBQ s soon xxx we will be over as soon as ive finished at uni for a house warming drink xx jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. realy looking forward to seeing the finished house. cocktails and BBQ s soon xxx we will be over as soon as ive finished at uni for a house warming drink xx jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, can't wait to have you guys over the cocktails and BBQs! Will def let you know when we are having the house warming. xxxxx

      Delete